Monday, July 7, 2014
(Sterling Heights, MI) -- Fire departments all over the state are hoping the end of the Fourth will mean a decreased risk of fire. Sterling Heights firefighters were able to avoid disaster when they arrived at a home on Arlene Street where a garage with fireworks inside was engulfed in flames. Crews were able to put the fire out before it spread to the house. Meanwhile, on the west side of the state, a Grand Haven man trying to make his own fireworks burned down his home. Investigators say he was working with black powder when it ignited. He's hospitalized with severe injuries.